Thursday, September 11, 2008

7 years ago......

Seven years ago on this date, I was awoken by a ringing phone. On the other end was my dad calling from the East coast , asking if I had the morning news on yet. I sd no, I'm not fully awake to stomach news at this hour. My dad sd I think you better go turn it on and be ready to sit down. Why I ask. He told me that the Twin Towers had been crashed into. I got up, turned on the news, watched for a little while then got ready to get our oldest off to kindergarten.While getting our son ready I got a call from my hubby telling me what happened. By then I had turned off the tv and had switched to news reports on the radio. I didn't think that the tv news reports were right for such a young and innocent child to see. Besides, it was making me feel a mix of emotions. I wanted to, needed to , be as pulled together as possible to get him to school. School that morning was not operationg in total same as usual mode. That mornings flag salute was somber. Questions were answered and police were present along with councelors. After making sure their children were safe in classes, many parents mingled around talking, shaking heads and crying. Some of our school families were affected in many ways, either that morning or soon after due to military duty or other services used at that time. Everywhere you went that day - in our little corner of the Bay Area- either a tv was on or the radio set for news reports. Our picture of the New York skyline, that used to hang over the fireplace - has the Twin Towers in it -it is a reminder of another time.

Now, seven years later our little kindergartner is in the 7th grade and asking questions about that day. We are answering as best as we can. His sisters who are only five - the age he was on 9/11 are trying to figure out what we are talking about. They can't really grasp the events, why someone would want to do that (can anyone really?).

I think 9/11 is going to be one of those days that is going to live on in everyone's memories . It's the day that lives were changed in so many ways, a day that served as a wake up call not to just our Nation but to the world.

Take a moment today to say thank you to all the people who serve to help keep us protected: the fire, police, resue, military, to hug your family a little closer. Like humans , our Country has it's faults, but we are still a Country with many Freedoms.

No comments: